This is a doozy of a dilemma for me. In the grander scheme of life it’s no big deal, but in the confines of my race schedule, it’s a doozy.
I am currently scheduled to run two races on Saturday, March 31. One is in Richmond and one is in Philly. BOO!!
I signed up for the Monument 10k a while ago (and even got into a seeded wave!!!!!!) since I’ve participated in that run for the past several years. Really, it’s kind of become a tradition. I’m also excited about the possibility of destroying my previous 10k PR of 57-something. The Monument 10k is such a fun (yet insanely crowded) race so it was really a no-brainer for me to register again this year.
That is until the Philadelphia Phillies announced the date of their uber popular 5k: MARCH 31. NOOOOOO.
Since I participated in the inaugural Phillies 5k last year, I was offered the opportunity to sign up an hour before regular registration opened. A bib in this race is like liquid goal (not entirely sure if that makes sense…but ya know what I mean). It sold out last year in less than a day, so I knew I had to snatch up a spot just out of sheer principle. Also, the Phillies 5k allows bib transfers, so I knew it wouldn’t be a total loss even if I don’t end up running.
As it stands I’m still not entirely sure what I’ll end up doing. So far I have these dilemmas…
- We’re going up to Philly the weekend before (or after? I don’t remember) the race, so that’s a whole lot of back and forth.
- This would be the 5th year in a row I run Monument. That’s pretty cool.
- The Phillies race is HALF the distance of Monument…I’m aiming for a sub-2 hour half just 2 weeks before these races, so maybe the 5k is a better option for me physically.
- Brian’s definitely running Philly, and it’s nice (and rare) to run races with him.
- I really want the Phillies 5k technical shirt to wear to fall games.
- I just have to wake up and make my way downtown to run in Monument…I have to drive all the way to Philly and likely not get much sleep the night before the 5k.
- None of my friends live on Monument Ave anymore…so we don’t really have a place to call home base for the after-race party. Brian won’t be there anyway…
- Probably won’t have a cheer section at either race, but at least Monument is CRAZY throughout the entire run.
- I can transfer the Phillies bib, but will definitely take a monetary loss on the Monument bib.
- I’m seeded in Monument -COOL!
- Monument is so ridiculously crowded…it’s borderline not fun.
BLAH! So much back and forth. At least I’ve got some time to decide!