Weekend Happenings

I was SO THANKFUL for this weekend. Even though I’d been cooped up sick for almost a week, I felt like I needed a break. Does that make me lazy? I needed “me time” that didn’t require blowing through 75 tissues a day, fighting throat daggers or not moving off the couch.

I ended up going to bed at 8:30pm on Friday night. I’m a party animal. I slept for a nice 12 hours (you’d think my body was sleeped-out at this point) and then got up to attempt a run. My sick weekend had called for 11 miles, which I clearly didn’t accomplish, and this weekend was supposed to be 10. I settled for 7.

I deliberately took this slow. My hips and legs were super tight after Thursday’s run, and it was clear to me that structurally, my lower half needed a break. Endurance-wise I felt fine, but my legs felt heavy and painful for most of this run. Apparently not using my legs for a good week and half took away a lot of my fitness. BLAST! I was really happy when it was over, although it definitely made me nervous for my race on the 22nd. I have to basically double that. Scary.

Next up on my weekend agenda was a trip to Washington, D.C. Two of my lovely lady friends celebrated birthdays last week, so we gathered to party up in their honor. I arrived in the city around 6:30 and we immediately began drinking wine, eating cheese, and blabbing on like girls do.

We are friends with wine.

We didn’t do much more than eat and drink wine for the next 4 hours. It was just what the doctor ordered. Before heading out the door around 11:30pm, we thought it’d be a good idea to make shooters. These consisted of the cheapest vodka on the shelf, lime Gatorade, some strawberry-lime sparkling water and a few drops of pure lime juice. Surprisingly good once we figured out the proper ratio…

We ended up at a random bar near Dupont and had a great time despite the $9 drinks. This is DC people, NOT NYC. I had 1 gin and tonic and 1 beer since I simply couldn’t justify the cost.

Gin you are so refreshing. But not worth $9.

It took everything we had to stay out late and we proudly didn’t go home until 2:30am. 9am rolled around all too early and we were up again ready to take on the day. I drove back down to Richmond and was home sweet home by noon. It was somewhat of a whirlwind trip, but I loved every second of it.

Now it’s back to the grind. I need to focus on building up some last minute leg strength this week so I don’t have to crawl across the finish line next Sunday. Boot camp is calling my name!

Posted on May 9, 2011, in Run Carrie Run, Weekends, Wine. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: