Monthly Archives: August 2010
What a cliche. But isn’t that how First Blog Posts are supposed to start?
Today is Day One of my Second Quarter. Not because it is my 25th birthday – because it isn’t – (or 26th birthday if you really want to get technical), but because I say it is so. One of the perks of entering adulthood is that you get to do things on your own time (see, I’m learning already!). So I’m taking it upon myself to define today as my entry into the second quarter of my life. Here are a few things I plan to do to start this life stage off right (gotta start somewhere!!).
- Rise at a decent hour. Oh the days of sleeping in. 11am was early. 9am was rough. 7am was torture. 5am was bedtime.
- Eat my veggies. I can slowly feel my 20-something metabolism slipping away with every bite of Ben & Jerry’s Double Fudge Brownie.
- Keep the house clean. Why are those Mardi Gras beads from Aculpulco Spring Break ’07 still in a box in my guest room? And why doesn’t that pile of mail ever seem to get smaller? Oh and where the hell do dust bunnies come from?!
- Take the party down a notch. Thankfully (or not?!) this one seems to be happening naturally. 2 glasses of wine? Sure! I’ll be passed out within the hour or begging you to let me borrow your Snuggie and some shot glasses for my contacts.
- Read more books. Ya know, those handheld bound pages with words on them? If I want to be “wise” one day it is time to start filling my brain with words, fact, knowledge and other adult content (the non x-rated kind). Sorry Cosmo, you don’t count.
- Cook a freaking meal. If there is one place my mother failed me, it was teaching me how to cook. I am completely incapable of looking in the pantry or fridge and saying Oh my! I’ve got all the fixins for a nice duck with mustard spaetzle!
- Run a half marathon. I may be crazy, but I think I can actually make this one happen. This baby is going DOWN on Novemer 13th, 2010.
So there you have it. The idiot’s guide to the second quarter. I figure if I bite off small pieces, I might be able to swallow this whole adulthood thing a bit better. We’ll save marriage, babies, gray hairs, and 8pm bedtimes for a later post.
In closing, I believe this photo best summarizes the awesomeness that is one’s First Quarter. And from this day forth, thou shalt not see such debauchery (or I shalt cover up such debauchery with “adult” things like class, self-restraint, and wise decision-making skills).Cheers to the next step…